Thursday, December 4, 2014

Eat More, Drink More...

Mixed messages alert:
         Sitting in the doctor's office today, I pick up a magazine from my new stalker: AARP. (Don't get me started.) Inside, Melissa Etheridge is touting the benefits of an ultra-healthy diet in combating a particular condition. Carol and I talk about it, since she has been so good forever with what she eats. Of course the ideas are good, but would we really go dairy-free? Gluten-free? Not sure.
         Cut to the infusion area. Carol's receiving her treatment, starting a new cycle, resting while the medicine starts to do its work, when I hear, "And get one for them out there, too!" from inside the one semi-private treatment room. Out walks a woman, who says to us, "I'm heading to Dunkin Donuts, and you're getting a doughnut. What kind do you want?" About five minutes later, we're both biting into a Boston creme. Knowing that our benefactor is an 18-year survivor helps them go down a little more easily.

Carol's treatment is changing a little starting this cycle.  Her latest scan showed a slight change, and the doctor has modified her treatment, adding a pill she'll take daily in addition to her treatments at the office. One of the side effects of this new medication can be dehydration, so Carol's challenge will be keeping enough fluids in her system.  For any of you who have noticed how seldom she speaks of thirst, you know that getting "two to three quarts of fluid per 24 hours" seems an insurmountable task to her. But, as she has with every other new challenge in this process, I'm sure she will rise to the occasion (though not without a little complaining).


“It's unpleasantly like being drunk." 
"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?" 
"You ask a glass of water.” 
― Douglas Adams

1 comment:

  1. Yay, donuts! When Dad was diagnosed with ALS, my sister and I threw our hands up at eating well and exercising... for about a day. My Dad is one of the healthiest, most fit people I know. We discussed he has probably survived this long because of how well he has taken care of himself over the years. He was a health nut and avid runner. If he was overweight with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes, his condition would be so much more complicated. One of his weaknesses - a sausage McMuffin ;)

    ReplyDelete

Want to leave a note of support or encouragement? Thanks.